FICTION WRITERS: I’ll be teaching at The Center for Fiction online beginning in October. Learn more about my class Closer to the Truth: Translating Memory Into Fiction, starting October 26, 2020. Update: this class is sold out. Click the above link for info on the waiting list.
Begins January 5, 2020 WRITING YOUR LIFE: Memoir For Everyone (now open for registration — scroll down)
Winter/Spring 2021 WRITING FOR VISUAL ARTISTS
Winter/Spring 2021 THE FICTION WORKSHOP: Get Going, Keep Going
I’ve taught novice writers and accomplished ones, on college campuses and in prison classrooms. Along the way, I’ve discovered techniques that allow the best work to flow onto the page, with maximum meaning and minimum angst. These classes are designed to be enjoyable, supportive, and deeply inspiring for people working at any level. They offer the following:
- weekly sessions combining craft talks, prompts, writing time, and group discussion
- a warm, welcoming community
- optional sharing and feedback from fellow workshoppers
- simple strategies for letting go of writing fears
- reading of masterful, mind-expanding published work
- personalized feedback/response from me
- pure, brain-illuminating fun (because really, why do it otherwise?)
Along with weekly live meetings (via a free online platform), the class will have its own virtual workshop space where we will gather to share work and feedback. We’ll create the essential, supportive community every one needs for their creative efforts.
Spots are limited, so please claim yours.
Starting 1.5.20 Writing Your Life: Memoir for Everyone
Create an autobiographical record for yourself, for loved ones, or for publication. This class has been offered at public libraries, in prisons, and at universities, and has helped writers of all levels turn memories into memoir.
We will discuss:
● How to turn family history into compelling stories
● Prompts and exercises for excavating your most resonant stories
● Readings of inspiring autobiographical writing
Note: This is an encouraging, non-judgmental group where we respect each other’s privacy and personal boundaries.
Tuesdays 4 to 6 pm, 6-week session
NEXT SESSION BEGINS JAN 5, 2020
Reserve your spot below. Fully refundable until 1 week before start date.
Writing for Visual Artists
Over the years, I’ve worked with artist friends, helping them write grant and residency applications, gallery talks, and descriptive material for exhibitions. I’ve found that artists typically have astounding ideas but sometimes struggle to translate them into words. This one-of-a-kind workshop is designed to help artists communicate in the most vivid, engaging language possible. With new tools to talk and write about your artistic vision, you’ll increase your confidence, raise your profile, and light up your mind.
We will discuss:
● How to extract and articulate your major themes, inspirations, and intellectual underpinnings
● How to translate visual ideas into verbal ones for applications, gallery talks, exhibition materials and more
● How to write with more vivid voice and descriptive power and steer clear of jargon and empty “artspeak” verbiage
90-minute meetings, 4-week sessions
The Fiction Workshop: Get Going, Keep Going
This is a group for writers who are ready to devote some real time to starting or completing works of fiction. Perhaps you’re a student or recent graduate from a writing program, perhaps you’re trying to write while holding down a job or raising a family. Perhaps you’ve been thinking of a story for months or years, and are finally ready to dive in and set it down in words.
We will write together, share our work, give and receive responses. In brief craft talks, I’ll discuss my approaches to plotting, characterization, and refining one’s voice. We’ll talk about the path to publishing. I’ll also provide a personal letter of feedback for you, based on a limited number of pages. You’ll find a community of fellow writers and make real progress in your work.
Two -hour meetings, 8 sessions
Reserve your spot for Writing Your Life now. Cancel anytime up to one week before first class. Payment details will come to you via email.